e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

2/22/2007

shameless, shameless, shameless

How's that for the title of a blog post? 'Shameless' in this case refers to the act of self-promotion, so apologies in advance...

U of Pittsburgh Press, I'm proud to say, has released the product of three years of labor: Who Says?: Working-Class Rhetoric, Class Consciousness, and Community. I've got a box of author's copies sitting in the corner of my office to prove it! I hope the book finds an audience and forwards what I think are some pretty important conversations.

A few fun facts regarding the book:
  • amazon.com already has 24 used copies! what does that mean? that a slew of folks got the book and have already decided that it isn't a keeper?
  • the book got a mention in the conservative press. this almost makes up for my sadness at not being mentioned on horowitz's 'list of threatening un-American academics' or whatever it was called. thanks to the watchdog-types over at americanheritage.com. check it out.
  • most importantly, working on this project let me meet some great people (including lots of folks in communication studies) and strengthen relationships with other great people. thanx.

5 comments:

Donna said...

Congratulations!

Nels P. Highberg said...

Congrats, congrats!

LuisaStormchaser said...

Honey be as shameless as you wanna be. Remember it's the "class" issue that makes you feel shameless when promoting a work which the upper classes or rich folk have promoted for them all over all manner of media and pro bono too! So I've got to say one thing: Be shameless and Enjoy it!

Congrats from your amiga--Luisa

Anonymous said...

Hey!
As a member of the middle class, I say:
Congrats!

Anonymous said...

congratulations, bill! now to snap up one of those copies for future use on papers. :)