e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

7/07/2006

those American Express ads

So my co-teacher this summer has this great writing prompt she uses with her junior high students and she brought the idea to our classroom yesterday. She uses those cloying American Express ads wherein celebrity endorsers fill in data about themselves. You've seen the ads in popular mags--Ken Watanabe, Ellen DeGeneris, etc. letting you know little tidbits about their personalities. Anyhoo, we used this writing prompt first thing in the a.m. and got some good stuff. I've had a character bouncing around in my head and used the prompt to get me working on a story, which I've been working at like crazy over the past two days. Here's the prompt that got me going:

Name: Myrna
Ambition: Become the next Shirley Jackson
Fondest Memory: Drive-in with her dad for monster movies
Soundtrack: Zeppelin records
Retreat: Toolshed with a book and a flashlight
Wildest Dream: Open a wax museum
Proudest Moment: Getting an adult library card
Biggest Challenge: Making conversation
Alarm Clock: None--wakes up on her own
Perfect Day: Snow day, stay in pajamas and read
First Job: None yet (she's 14), but in two summers she'll wash dishes at HoJo's
Indulgence: Pork rinds
Latest Purchase: Digital camera to start a photoblog
Favorite Movie: Anything Ed Wood
Inspiration: Dorothy Allison
My Life: Social Anxiety Disorder, undiagnosed
My Card: Library

I rarely write in bursts but quickly spun four pages of Myrna's story. Cool prompt. Thanks to awesome co-teacher.

No comments: