e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

7/18/2006

missing may

No, the title of this post does not refer to the desire for it still to be the beginning of summer.

Instead, Missing May is the title of a moving short novel by young adult writer Cynthia Rylant, which I read on the recommendation of one of my Writing Project students this summer (each year participants in the program turn me on to at least a few books that I end up loving--all of which tend to be books I'd never pick up without their suggestion).

Missing May tells the story of young Summer--perpetually bounced from relative to relative--and her Uncle Ob who are grieving the death of Aunt May, a person responsible for much of what is good in both Summer and Ob. A sad but redemptive story. But two other characters make the book resonate. First, Summer's quirky and good-hearted chum, Cletus, who has a passion for found art. Second, the West Virginia landscape, which becomes a living, breathing person in Rylant's world.

No comments: