e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

7/02/2006

a musical 4th of July weekend

Back home in the Motor City for a four-day weekend. Got in Friday night in time to head over to Hamtramck with my pal Jason to catch Low Water at The Belmont. Guitar-driven power pop, straight outta Brooklyn. Good band lyrically, too, with a Modern Lovers-esque fixation on brokenheartedness. Check out the band's attempt at slapstick over at YouTube.

Last night Nicole and I headed downtown to TasteFest...excuse me, Comerica (sigh) TasteFest, where I enjoyed some catfish and waffles, courtesy of the New Center Eatery's tent, followed by miscelaneous dessert-type selections from Sweet Potato Sensations. N. and I sat in the shadow of the Fisher Building and caught the Hard Lessons' performance. You've got to love a band made up of ex-schoolteachers. Actually, you probably DON'T have to do any such thing, but still. As usual the HL's rocked the joint, closing with a Neil Young cover as tasty as the Sweet Potato Pie we were munching on.

Good to be home.

No comments: