e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

7/13/2006

southern (Ohio) cooking

Tomorrow the Writing Project four-week comes to a close. Participants have the afternoon off to work on their final portfolios, due bright and early tomorrow. I hosted the class this afternoon in dorm, where I cooked some good old-fashioned southen eats. Macaroni and cheese from scratch, with four different cheeses. Real simple collard greens, prepared with garlic, a dash of vinegar, salt, and cayenne pepper. Crusty bread. Alright, I wimped out on the latter and went with store-bought, whaddaya gonna do? Good teachers. I'll miss 'em.

2 comments:

Mike @ Vitia said...

Sounds like fine eating. My granny (who moved up from Homestead, Florida to rural Maryland, and had a habit of reminding us that Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line) made her mac and cheese with half sharp cheddar and half Velveeta, and her recipe is still the only reason in the entire world for which I'll buy Velveeta. I'd be curious to hear what cheeses you use.

Her collards didn't use garlic -- just salt, pepper, and a ham hock. When we had the dinner reception at her church following her funeral, the folks at the church hadn't considered the religious diversity of Granny's friends, and every dish except for the dessert had some form of pork or ham in it. . . .

Now, to round out your collards and mac and cheese, the two essential additions (of course) would have to be cornbread and black-eyed peas with diced onion. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

bdegenaro said...

Four cheeses: Extra sharp cheddar, regular cheddar, American, and pepper jack.

The greens...had to toss in some garlic and give a little Italian flavor to the meal. We had some vegetarians in the class--otherwise, I'd have tossed in pork in some form or another.