e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

3/26/2007

video

Most 4Cs attendees probably grabbed a copy of the Bedford/St. Martin's film "Take 20," directed by Todd Taylor. "Take 20" presents clips of interviews with college writing teachers, who answer questions about their first teaching experience, their methods for designing a syllabus, and what articles and books have most influenced their careers.

One thing about this project I appreciate is the range of voices. Taylor assembles a combination of big names and emerging leaders in the field. Raul Sanchez, Ellen Cushman, and Nedra Reynolds in particular offer interesting and honest "takes" on teaching. Line that sticks with me: "[Teachers] ought to learn to read student work without a pen in their hands" -Raul Sanchez. It's sticking with me because I talk back to all student writing. I would have liked to listen to Sanchez say more.

And that seems to be the limitation of the film. Soundbites about teaching and learning provide the film's content and those soundbites are very engaging. I'm not sure the talking head format best extends conversations about such complex matters. Maybe the next version of the film can allow viewers to select content they want to hear more about. What if the DVD could provide "special features" wherein the talking heads expand upon those soundbites?

Just a thought. I appreciated the film very, very much as a representation of the range of teaching ideologies and methodologies within the field. Hats off to Taylor and the publisher for doing something new.

No comments: