e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

3/14/2007

H-Clint

An old friend e-mailed me today, quoting Hillary Clinton's comments this morning in response to a question about whether or not homosexuality is immoral:
"Well I'm going to leave that to others to conclude," she said. "I'm very proud of the gays and lesbians I know who perform work that is essential to our country, who want to serve their country and I want make sure they can."
This friend of mine suggested that H-Clint's bland response brings to mind Bob Dole's noted blandness in 1996.

Amen. She's as bland as they come. At this point she's become virtually incapable of saying what she thinks. I think that one of two things has happened to H-Clint: 1) she's unaware that she's saying nothing, or 2) she's completely disinterested in stating ideas of her own. I think it's a little of both, but more of the latter. I would like to elect a president who believes there's a legitimate place in the political process for stating what one thinks. That ain't H-Clint.

That audio of her singing the National Anthem (poorly) is a nice metaphor for her persona: WASP-y, disinterested, milquetoast, hoping to just blend in so that nobody really hears her voice. She has latched on to inane issues in the senate: let's rate videogames. She's made cheap grabs for quick popularity: let's expand the prerogative of the executive branch (and let's do it while the executive happens to be a fool).

Forgoodnesssake, just answer the question. "No, I don't think homosexuality is immoral. And I regret that there are still serious minded people in this country that think that gays and lesbians are immoral." Or, if you want to shoot for brevity, a simple "no." Then, move on to the next question. Is that so much to ask?

No comments: