e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

3/31/2005

hypocrisy

I thought maybe after Terry Schiavo's death the exploitation-of-tragedy-for-political-gain game might end. I was wrong. Bush, today, said:
I urge all those who honor Terri Schiavo to continue to work to build a culture of life where all Americans are welcomed and valued and protected.
What does Bush know about a culture of life? What policy decisions has he made that uphold standards of dignity or any semblance of the notion that life is sacred?

Maybe when, as governor, he joked with the Texas press ("please don't kill me" with his lips trembling and his voice in a high, feminine tone) about the woman whose plea for clemency he ignored? Maybe when he urged Iraqi troops to "bring it on," meaning, I guess, that they ought to step up their efforts. Maybe when he wrote that executive order expanding the ability to use "interrogation methods" on detainees.

Inspirational to hear him advocate for a "culture of life."

No comments: