e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

4/11/2006

ohio road trip

Just got back last night from a too-quick trip down I-75 to my former school, Miami U. Melissa F., a student in the 'research methods in rhetoric and comp' and 'rhetorics of social class' seminars I taught in Spring 04 and 05 respectively, sat for the oral portion of her comprehensive exams...and performed swimmingly, speaking with authority on ethnography, working-class culture, literacy, and other sundry topics, and I was damn proud to be a committee member. Good work, M.

I was somewhat blue last night, thinking about how much I miss working with PhD students and, then, approaching Detroit's cityscape just past dusk, leaving down river behind and entering the city proper--the hotel yorba, the tamales of mexican village on one side; the ambassador bridge, memories of Worst Job Ever, the river, and, beyond that, canada on the other side--and then minutes later seeing from the freeway the lights circling the fox theatre marquee, I remembered why I left ohio behind.

One year ago, "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" looping in my head, sage advice: find your place, go where you're happy, and other things will fall into line.' I made a good choice. Hello again, motown.

No comments: