e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

4/18/2005

vinyl finds at brass armadillo

As my sojourn in SW Ohio begins to draw to a close, I realize my visits to the Brass Armadillo are numbered. The 'dillo, a sprawling antique mall, has been a great source of cool vinyl. This weekend's finds:
*T.Rex-"Tanx" (1973)
*Al Caiola-"Greasy Kid Stuff" (1963) Played guitar on a boatload of Johnny Mathis hits and recorded traditional Italian ballads...but he also put out a string of surf-guitar covers albums in the 60s, of which this is one. Fun stuff.
*Aretha Franklin-"Hey Now Hey: The Other Side of the Sky" (1973) Weird psychedelia. A concept album and collaboration with Quincy Jones.
*J.Geils Band-"Full House Live" (1972) Recorded at Detroit's Cinderella Ballroom.
*Kraftwerk-"Autobahn" (1974) Or, as Nicole calls them, the killer robots. I've always heard that Devo started out as a Kraftwerk parody.
I left behind the "Meatballs" soundtrack album because they wanted $4 (ridiculous!), but now I'm jonesing for the "Are You Ready for the Summer?" theme.

No comments: