e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

4/28/2005

Pho

So I feel a cold coming on. Bad news because tomorrow I'm giving the final 'Faculty Seminar' (lecture open to campus-wide faculty) of the year. Luckily, a trip to the Saigon Dragon in beautiful Fairfield, Ohio, has perhaps saved the day. Pho is an absolute miracle cure: huge bowl (I've never seen a small serving of pho) of beef broth with a hint of fish sauce, tender strips of beef, and rice noodles, served with a heaping plate of fresh basil, cilantro, thai chilis, lime wedges, and sprouts to be added as desired. This will cure whatever ails you, guaranteed. Back in seminary--where about half the seminarians were Vietnamese--classmates introduced me to this staple, often eaten for breakfast in Vietnamese households. You can keep all the fancy thai soups, with the lemon grass, coconute milk, etc., and give me a heaping bowl of pho anytime. Here's an interesting blog about the pho scene in southern California.

A related cure that my Vietnamese chums swore by: stomachache relief from sucking the juice of half a lime (a lemon will do in a pinch), and then drinking a can of Coke (Pepsi will *not* do in a pinch) as quickly as you can. As memory recalls, results were less reliable than the old pho-for-the-common-cold.

1 comment:

bdegenaro said...

New blog seems like it's going to be an interesting one...keep it up. One possible problem: the font (looks like Arial maybe) is kind of tough to read--at least the way it shows up on my computer. Can you switch to a more readable one?

On a separate note, have you read a novel called Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson? I teach a master's-level class made up of mostly high school English teachers and they all rave about this book. Just picked up a copy of it over the weekend and it's at the top of my "read as soon as I finish grading final papers this week" list. Let me know if you've read it.