e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

6/05/2007

thank you m-care

Today I went to the dentist for the first time in three years. I'm horribly negligent when it comes to dental care, brushing once or twice a day, flossing every couple days. I've got no excuses. I've gotten lucky, though. In my life I've had one cavity. I have all my wisdom teeth and dentists always tell me that they grew in perfectly. With this lucky track record, I know that I'm tempting fate by failing to take better care of the teeth.

Thank goodness for M-Care. The U of M system takes damn good care of its members. No co-pay today, and I had a full cleaning, x-rays, a mouth cancer screening, and a fluoride treatment. Awesome.

I got the sense from the hygienest that the stains were a bit grody. At first she made a few jokes about how I'm obviously a coffee drinker. As the cleaning progressed, she began to accompany the good-natured cracks with a bit of teeth-grinding (doesn't she know that's bad for the teeth?!). Okay, I've got another resolution now: better tooth care.

5 comments:

bonnie lenore kyburz said...

"go smile" is a great product (the toothpaste only, not the vials of bleaching stuff . . . use the am flavor unless you like the taste of flowers . . . http://www.gosmiledirect.com/).

also, the rotadent is miraculous (http://www.prodentec.com/Product_RotaDent.aspx).

i'm insane about dental hygiene. hope this helps :)

bdegenaro said...

thanks for the tips, Bonnie, I'll have to check out the 'go smile' product now that I've got my new resolution. good dental hygiene is very punk.

bonnie lenore kyburz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bonnie lenore kyburz said...

you've exposed me as a poser. maybe, but my teeth looked good ;)

Anonymous said...

mmmm... is there a website that gives you a list of all your mcare dentists. we are new to ann arbor and i need a dentist, quick. and not just any dentist, a nice one.