e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

9/05/2006

stamina

I always forget how tiring that first day can be. No matter how productive the summertime, the start of the term--the bustling about campus, the catching up with colleagues, the meetings--jolts the system a bit. And my classes don't even begin until tomorrow. Today, after working out on campus, a morning in the office finishing up syllabi and planning first day discussions in my two classes. Then, the events begin: 11:30 lunch with first-year students, 12:30 convocation (in full regalia!), 2:00 provost's ice cream social where I chat with media relations folks about promoting Jim Daniels' visit, go to library to put some materials on reserve, check status of texts at bookstore, e-mail a slew of folks regarding Jim's visit, a mid-afternoon of setting up files for various projects of the semester, 5:00 MALS (master's in liberal studies) advisory committee meeting/discussion of MALS student writing/dinner. Twelve hours on campus and I'm dragging. Time to start building up the stamina.

No comments: