e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

6/19/2006

Miami U, day one

Today was my first day teaching this summer's Writing Project workshop and my head is buzzing with ideas and possibilities. My co-teacher and I have 21 participants in our section (I'm the only guy in the room!), representing teachers of kindergarden all the way up through the twelfth grade. Mostly introductions today, but energy levels seemed high. Tomorrow we start discussing Tom Romano's work on 'voice,' workshopping each other's nightly writings, and planning teaching presentations

In the meantime, life in dorm continues. I'd like to write a book on dorm cooking. Mostly, it would be a collection of recipes, but also commentary and advice. Dorm cooking is all about doing a lot with few ingredients (budget's tight, and you can't cram much into those mini-fridges, after all). Last night I did a tofu scramble, for example. One pot on the top of the stove. Healthy, too. Just six ingredients: couple cloves of garlic, half a 14-oz. package of firm tofu, handful of snow peas, half a head of broccoli, soy sauce, dash of black pepper. Ready in about ten minutes.

No comments: