e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

5/16/2006

the blues are still blue

Who do you have to talk to about getting a single sunny day in Detroit? Hard to avoid the blues after nearly a week of rain and too-damn-cold-for-May weather. Detroit this week feels like Seattle without all the yuppies.

Also accounting for the blues, the overwhelming sense that my 22-year-old van may finally be reaching the end of the line. The inner core of the ignition has collapsed, which means the key (which Nicole somehow managed to jam in) must stay in the ignition at all times. This on top of all its other ailments. Gambling man that I am, on my research days I've been parking the car down at Wayne with the key in it. So far, no takers. If you have seen the van, you will not be at all surprised by this.

In less bluesy business, met my sociologist pal Paul down at Cass Cafe for lunch yesterday and enjoyed CC's signature lentil and walnut burger. Paul and I talked about putting together a proposal for a course we'd like to co-teach at Dearborn on Work & Identity. Paul is working on an ethnography of heroin addicts in the city, among other important projects. A great colleague.

My alma mater, a place that can't seem to retain a compositionist, is hiring for the umpteenth time and an old friend there asked me why I didn't apply and, while the romantic-nostalgic side of me would love to be back there, I didn't have much trouble answering her question. Dearborn is not a perfect place but the teaching I do here genuinely excites me and I wrote more in the past year than I've done in any single year since graduate school. So I think I'll stick around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My alma mater, a place that can't seem to retain a compositionist, is hiring for the umpteenth time

A very very wise choice - from someone who knows. Nostalgia is sweet - but don't let it cause you to make a bad decision.

bdegenaro said...

Yeah, I hear you, and appreciate the perspective. Interested in grabbing a beer sometime soon? Would be nice to chat in person.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Back channel me via email when you want to. Don't you live in Royal Oak? We're neighbors.