e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

11/22/2005

more photoessays

I posted a few weeks back some links to photoessays that my Comp. 106 students had been working with online. I wanted to follow up that post by linking to a sampling of my students' Detroit photoessays, many of which are intriguing, rhetorically and visually. I need to do more reading on visual rhetorics (recommended sources anyone?), and perhaps think about a paper on photo essays for the Detroit edition of the Computers and Writing conference.

Anyhow, from the Comp. 106 group, here are some good reads (most of these are still works-in-progress):

The Game is Over
Tombstones
Open Space
American Baby
Out and About in Ferndale

These photo essays all use blogger as a canvas. Other students are using Power Point. I noticed that students were more engaged than usual when we did various workshopping and peer reviewing activities. I think that engagement had a lot to do with the visual component of the project. Next time I'd like to use the Photo Essay assignment earlier in the term, so the visual can become (early on) a heuristic for other writing and blogging that the students do.

No comments: