e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

8/03/2005

comments

It's been brought to my attention that my blog wasn't accepting comments. Sorry about that--not sure how that happened. I've turned on the comment switch. Comment away.

I'm taking a break from the writing to cook this afternoon (as I said in last post, won't have that luxury in a few weeks). A friend gave us some unprocessed whole wheat flour from a local mill. Made a dough with olive oil and dried basil. It's raising right now. The toppings are ready to go: spinach, slices of tomatoes, roasted garlic (in the oven right now), marinated mushrooms, and four-count-em-four types of cheese: ricotta, feta, provolone, and kaseri.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couple of things (there really is a ton in the metro area) when you get to Royal Oak. Some you may know, some may have popped up since you last were here:
1. happy hour at the brewery. good deal on beer.
2. Sugar and Kisses. Great pastries. Way south on on Washington.
3. Tomatoes APizza. Little bit of a drive out to Farmington, but excellent pizza. Closer to home, Amici's in Berkeley.
4. Fly Trap in Ferndale. Excellent place for eggs/sandwiches.
5. Udipi in Farmington Hills. Indian. My favorite Indian.
6. Avalon in Detroit. Best bread.

My latest favorite in Dearborn is Shatila. You may already know it.

bdegenaro said...

Thanks for the tips. I love Avalon and Shatila (though Cedarland remains my favorite thing in Dearborn). Which brewery are you talking about?

Anonymous said...

the Royal Oak Brewery.
But there are other good breweries: Dragonmead in Warren, Motor City and Traffic Jam (across from one another on Canfield), Kuhnhenn in Warren.

bdegenaro said...

I like Motor City a lot...never been to Royal Oak Brewery (it's right on the strip on Main, I presume?). Would be happy to sample their wares, though. thanks again for the tips.