e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

7/15/2005

new summer lifestyle; new summer tunes

Got done teaching my summer class last week, and I find myself with a little more room to breathe. Write for an hour first thing each day, followed by a visit to the YMCA, followed by errands and chores, followed by some work on the two very different articles I'm working on right now (one a comparative critique of the two state-of-the-university addresses given by Miami's president and the Miami-Hamilton campus's director, looking at how the two differ in their constructions of economies of higher ed, the other a piece about a chapbook of poems my great-grandfather, a farmer, published during the Depression). Both articles are rooted in similar kinds of (con)textual analysis, and I'm re-reading Sonja Foss's awesome work on rhetorical criticism, while thinking of ways to incorporate Lukacs on history and class consciousness, which I use in virtually everything I write.

So I'm taking time for new tunes, too, while cruising around Butler County (only one more month in Ohio!) in the ole Taurus. Recommended: Kanye West's "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" with the cool James Bond sample. Gotta be the best song of 2005. Also liking: Sleater-Kinney's "Entertain," Missy Elliott's "Lose Control," The Bad Plus's cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and "Chewing Gum" by Annie). Everybody make time for good summer music. That fall semester's starting before you know it.

No comments: