e-mail me at billdeg@umich.edu

4/05/2005

pizza

Since my grandmother's death last year, Nicole and I have been trying on a pretty regular basis to recreate her cooking. Recent successes include "greens and beans" (or, "minestra," as the food network calls it) prepared in one of the dutch ovens that was hers. Easy stuff: onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and red pepper flakes in olive oil until everything's soft. Then add a couple cans of chicken stock and a can of great northern beans. Boil a bunch of chopped swiss chard separately, drain, and add to the soup. Let it all cook together for at least thirty minutes. Mmmmm.

Anyway, last night we made "pizza" a la Grandma D. Real simple dough: warm water, flour, yeast, pinch of salt. We let it rise, rolled it out, brushed the top with olive oil and then generous amount of black pepper, and baked. I guess it's more like "bread," but to her it was "pizza." (Of course, while we were at it, we also used the dough to make one with spinach, roasted garlic, fresh mozzarella, and no sauce.)

2 comments:

fabulous said...

I'd be happy to share pizza ideas with you. I make pizzas at home all the time.

jeff

bdegenaro said...

Yes, would love to share pizza innovations and ideas. We used to make them often, got off the kick, but now I think we're getting back on. I need to get my dad to show me how to make a great egg pizza he does with a ton of parmesan cheese and roasted peppers. Really good stuff...